Thursday, December 3, 2009

PHAGIL PODI

Phagil is a type of veggie which is prepared as a fried item in mangalorean cuisine. I had no idea before what they prepare of it nor, I dont know its name either. Its the first time I had at my sister's in law home and surly I do loved them. When ''Aparna of aps kitchen'' posted that recipe, I was soo crazed looking at her picture that I was just enough inspired preparing that at home. I truly enjoyed making them and end result came out superb. The changes I made is instead of soaked rice and whole red chillies, I altered rice flour and chilli powder. Therez no exact measurement for this. You can use more or less based upon the quantity and as per taste. Have a look.

INGREDIENTS.

5 to 6 Phagil.

Chilli Powder.

Turmeric Powder.

Hing.

Salt to taste.

Rice flour for coating at end.

Oil for deep fry.

METHOD.

Make a thin slice of Phagil shown as below.


Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl except rice flour and marinate them on both the sides of slice. Lastly sprinkle them with adequate rice flour and allow them to rest for half an hour.


Heat oil in pan. Deep fry them till its crispy brown.


Serve hot.


AWARDS TIME:

'BABLI' has passed me one wonderful award ie ''THE 2009 BLOGGER APPRECIATION AWARDS''. Thank you soo much for ur appreciation. Glad to receive from you Babli.


I would like to pass on to


DIFFERENT NOTE:
I am so lucky to meet my another blogger pal ''UJWAL OF UJWAL'S KITCHLAB'' at her home. Same as aparna, she too visited mangalore (her home town) from china. We both had conversation through orkut and decided to meet finally. Me and my daughter had a warm welcome by her mom who was soo frank type and so sweet. The moment smera saw ujwal, she become soo close with her. Had a wonderful talking with them and specially regarding treats there were chakli, chips, pan patholi with choon , brown riced ladoos, salty puffs etc. hmmm so yummy it was. My little one too enjoyed herself. She just love meeting new people around and by now 'Ujwal' and 'Aparna' would have known much better about her :).

ENJOY!!

29 comments:

Finla said...

I don't think i have ever had this, looks really crunchy as it is deepfried.
Congragulation on the awarrd and thankyou for passing them to me.

Cham said...

I never seen such a veggie- what a crispy and spicy veggie fry. Congrats on ur awards and thanks a ton to share whith me :)

Shama Nagarajan said...

yummy recipe dear

prasu said...

lovely Podi dear......congrats on ur wards.

Priya Suresh said...

I never seen this veggies, crispy fry looks prefect..

Sunitha said...

Very nice.. this is not bitter guard? I have never seen it its its not that.. looks crispy, tasty.

Nandinis food said...

I have seen this veggie somewhere but I dont remember. Looks delcious! Congrats on your award and thanks for sharing with me dear:)

Divya Kudua said...

I absolutely love phagilya phodi and lose count of how many I eat whenever I prepare them:).I have made this too-http://divyascookbook.blogspot.com/2008/11/phagile-phodifry.html

Its lovely that you guys met each other.I am still waiting for THAT meeting with a fellow food blogger:)

Sujatha said...

Hmm, never heard of this veggie.. The dish looks very yummy..

Sum Raj said...

thanks all...i guess it is available only in mangalore...US ppl can try for frozon ones if its there...not sure...

Sushma Mallya said...

i love pagila podi,my favourite but hardly find it over here...looks delicious and crispy suma and congraz on the award and thanks a lot for thinking about me as well

Uma said...

that's a new recipe to me.. looks delicious Suma!! Those veggies look like bitter gourds to me :) I know they are not.

Congrats on the award and thank you so much for mine.

It's always a good feeling to meet a blogger friend...

Gita Jaishankar said...

Hi Suma...congrats on your awards and thank you so much for remembering me dear...really appreciate it...The dish sounds interesting...looks crispy and tasty...I have never tried phagil before...will definitely try it soon :)

Namitha said...

Never had this,though I was in Mangalore for 3 years...looks tempting..

Unknown said...

Looks crispy and crunchy! And regarding the pectin, it is similar to jello used to make jams. it helps the jam to gel and set.Let me know if you need any more info regarding pectin.

Unknown said...

Congrats and wishing u many more to come..
its new wonderful recipe for me..never taste it..now I am curious!looks so spicy and crispy..feel like having some.

Unknown said...

am sure it tasted deliicous..

notyet100 said...

yum this looks

Sum Raj said...

thanks all..

Aps Kitchen said...

Thank U so much suma....for trying the recipe nd as well as for tht wonderful award..... We make it this way tooo..... Nd those who have never tried this do try it....It is called Wild Gourd in english, Nd u can find it in middle east as welldonno if all others will get.....do try in Mangalore store if u have one..... or any other Bangali store... U will surely find them :)..
Again thank u dear

Deepthi Shankar said...

this when cut looks like bitter gourd. Very yumm

Cynthia said...

Congratulations on your award!

We call that vegetable ban-karaila :) I have not had it in years! Love they way you have cooked it.

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

New to me, looks yummy.

Congrats on your award and thanks for sharing with me.

Usha said...

Looks crunchy and delicious ! Congrats on your award....

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

that looks so crisp and nice..
i got the neem flower from india.

Parita said...

I know this veggie..we call it parwar in gujju...but never prepared the same in this way..looks lovely and crispy!

Nithya Praveen said...

Wow looks soooo good Suma.I've never heard abt this veggie....any idea wats it called in english?

Sum Raj said...

thanks all...nithya, its called Wild gourd in eng...do try this..:)

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

It looks fabulous... I think this is the chinese bitter gourd right??